Saturday, October 8, 2011

Rejection

Hold those memories as only memories. Do not allow yourself to regret. I heard this quote the other day that spoke about rejection as a passage of growth. It came from a very unlikely source, when I was feeling down. It is from the show Castle. This quote came at such an appropriate time that it left a imprint in my mind til now. This is more of a conversation than a quote, but this is how it went:

A: How do you do it dad?
B: Do what?
A:That letter that you have framed in your office.
B: My first manuscript framed rejection...
A: How could you stand having it there?
B:Because it drives me and I got 20 more of those [before i was published]. That letter... that letter reminds me of what I've overcome. Rejection isn't failure. Failure is giving up. Everybody gets rejected it's how you handle it that determines where you'll end up.

I think this conversation holds true for anything we are trying to overcome. If we just try to bury the memory, it doesn't disappear. Yet embracing such failures may give us the strength to see what accomplishments shaped us into who we are. In a way, I have to thank Wendy, she made me stronger, she made me feel what it was like to be alone again because , frankly, we have to rely on solely ourselves in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment